Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ornithorhynchus anatileonardus

With my recent hamster post as inspiration, my mind has been wandering to other animals with whom Leonard shares behavioral characteristics. At the risk of being unabashedly anthropomorphic (one of the only concepts I remember from a past anthropology course), I have decided to talk about similarities between Leonard and another animal, the platypus.

Among its many interesting traits, the platypus has the ability to determine the direction of an electrical source at any given moment, and it uses this to its advantage while hunting. When animals move, the contractions of their muscles emit minute electrical signals, and the platypus is able to pick up on these signals to determine the location of its prey. This is a very unique characteristic, shared only by other monotremes (mammals that lay eggs instead of giving birth). However, there is one non-monotreme that has this innate skill...



Leonardism...Let's face it - I'm a morning person and Leonard isn't. He hates it that I get up so early in the mornings, especially on weekends. I think it reminds him that maybe he should get up, but he'd much rather sleep. I actually feel guilty about getting out of bed while Leonard lies in blissful slumber, however, the strong desire to finish tasks in the morning eventually wins out, so I typically try to sneak my way out of bed. I lie in deep concentration, attempting to distribute all of my weight equally among my limbs. Slowly, I turn to my left without making any sudden movements. I can hear Leonard's slow breathing, and I feel reassured that he is sleeping too soundly to note my escape. I pull the covers off lightly, and one leg makes it out before - Whack! - Leonard's arm comes crashing down, and I am trapped. He quiets my protests by stating groggily "Mmm, sleep." I lie there, planning another escape attempt, knowing only that it is futile. I am not equipped to fight against Leonard's platypus-like senses. Were I an animal tamer, I might stand a chance.

7 comments:

leonard said...

she's lucky that i don't hold her down with my flat beaver-like tail...i do make a pretty nice looking monotreme.

piercefam said...

You are so clever. I love this! You should just fly out of bed next time!

Mandalynn said...

Very Witty. Now that I've commented on your blog, you need to comment on mine.

Sandy said...

Megan, you kill me! I am so glad you've updated your blog because the Leonardisms crack me up. And I like to hear his responses...

meggie said...

Sandy,
I'm so glad you've been visiting, glad to have you here!
Megan

Molly Farmer said...

I see you've discovered the hyperlink option. The meaning of "anthropomorphic" has never been so accessible.

Jeff Hamm said...

Love the Leonardism, though I was glad that your Mom was there to explain the Leonard thing to me. Nice photoshop work!