Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ziggy's Apprentice

Years ago, my kid sister Molly had a pet hamster named Ziggy (may he rest in peace). Ziggy had many great attributes, but by far my favorite thing about him was his impeccable hygiene. After stuffing his cheeks full of hamster feed and hiding most of the goods in a corner of the cage, he would clean himself by licking his hands and wiping his face over and over again until his fur sparkled. This all took place years ago, and I hadn't given thought to Ziggy's grooming practices for some time. That is, until I met Leonard.

Leonardism...During our early dating years, I noticed that when Leonard and I would go out to eat he would always excuse himself after the meal to wash his hands and face. At first I thought this was cute and admirable, after all cleanliness is next to godliness, right? I was finally able to observe this practice the first time I made him dinner. By the end of the meal, Leonard's napkin looked like it had been run over by a truck after an hour of continual hand wiping. When he was done eating he went to the sink and scrubbed and scrubbed his face and hands repetitively till they shone under the bright kitchen lights, and I was immediately reminded of Ziggy. Leonard still does this today, and it's even more like Ziggy with his red beard. He may not belong to the rodent family, but my Leonard definitely rivals any hamster when it comes to personal grooming!

8 comments:

leonard said...

I will not apologize for my impeccable hygiene...even if it does make me look and act like a hampster. Now back to my running wheel.

Molly Farmer said...

I never told you this, but when you first started dating Leonard, I couldn't stand to be in the room with him after a meal. Between his full set of hamster-colored hair, and his tedious cleaning habits, the striking similarities to my beloved dead hamster were just too painful for me to behold. As the years have passed, though, and the pain that came with finding Ziggy's stiff body in the bottom of his cage that fateful Wednesday morning has worn off, I've gotten better at coping. I've come so far in dealing with my grief that when I finished eating my meal last Thanksgiving, I followed Leonard to the kitchen sink, waited while he performed his scrubbing regimen, then handed him a towel.

Mandalynn said...

Us Georges are very clean people. My constant handwashing has gotten me labeled OCD.

Jeff Hamm said...

Megan, thanks for the blog. We're with your folks up in McCall for the Winter Carnival and she told us you have a blog. I just added a link to your blog on mine. Feel free to visit ours and you can link to my siblings' blogs. It'll be fun to follow your adventures, interests and quirks. Ours is hammfamilyfun.blogspot.com/ Take care!

Eveline said...

I have never in my whole life seen such an attractive hampster in Holland. Maybe I should go to a petshop here to ask if they have hygienic Leonard hampsters..Seeing a Leonard hampster a day keeps depression away ;-) Thanks for making me laugh today and talk to you soon. Besos Eve
PS:I am so happy that you have found a nice place for the super late wedding present :-)

meggie said...

Eveline,
I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope things are well in Holland.

piercefam said...

You are so funny. I hope you post everyday, so I can laugh this hard all the time. Great to be in touch this way!

piercefam said...

I have a friend in the early stages of pregnancy that has anti-rodent sentiments and she actually felt sick to her stomach when she read your oh so accurate description of Ziggy.