Monday, March 10, 2008

Leonardissimo

Leonardism...well, sorry sweetheart but it must be known. Leonard likes miniatures. It's not an obsession, more of a passing fondness and a bit of a running joke in our family. He's not too picky about what has to be mini-sized to qualify, pretty much anything normally large but in a smaller form will do, although there is one caveat - the miniature must be fully functioning as the original sized item. We once had a conversation about weird toys we liked when we were kids. Normally, admitting that I once had a ventriloquist doll named Charlie creates some raised eyebrows (though personally I don't regret having him for a second!). However, when Leonard told me that one of his prized possessions was a 1 inch tall book in which he would write as miniscule as possible, I had to laugh. I similarly found it amusing when he showed me his childhood pocket knife collection, and made sure that I understood that his favorite was the 2 inch one with a genuine sharp blade, perfect for cutting thread or stabbing a fairy, if the need ever arose. Yes, I have laughed throughout the past years whenever I see Leonard's sheepish grin when we spot a miniature. From a psychological perspective, I can't help but wonder if Leonard likes miniatures because they make him feel like a giant in comparison. Perhaps in 20 years he'll have his own hovel in some basement of a future house, where a miniature wonderland exists full of tiny homes with quarter sized shrubs in the front yard and a 9 course micro-meal on the table, where Leonard-Goliath stands magestically in the center of it all. Until that time, however, Leonard has learned to improvise. On Friday he came home from the grocery store with a loaf of bread, each slice the size of a credit card. It was with great love that I cut pieces of cheese and turkey to create mini-sandwiches, finding the smallest plate in the house to serve them on.

7 comments:

meggie said...

That's John Stamos on Leonard's shoulder if anyone is wondering.

Jeff Hamm said...

A miniature house with John Stamos! Awesome! Loved the post... I bet he was dissappointed when Burger King did away with those mini-burgers, I loved those. Thanks for the new Leonardism!

Rebecca said...

They have mini burgers at Red Robin now. They are a seasonal thing, so you need to get there. I forget what they are called, but there are pictures of them all over the place when you get there. Jeff ordered them, there were three on a skewer. I used to really dig little things too when I was little. I guess the interest left me at some point, yeah...no fascination anymore. Hmmmm.

k.k. @ thE b.y. said...

they had mini burgers at burger king?! um fun i kind of want one.

goodness megan about time you updated this. (joking :)

Anica said...

Megan I found your blog through Eveline's. I'm so excited to keep up with you guys now!

Melodie Starr* said...

i too found you through eve's blog... yeah! i must say that i am loving your blonde hair... is that current?!? it brought me back to many spain memories! remember when you burned a patch of hair off your head with my curling iron!?!? ha! good thing it grew back! meg is was amazing to see guillaume in paris.. he loved the gift, and said to please tell you all how much he loves and misses you! are you ever coming to utah?!?! i would love to see you two!

T.J. said...

Awesome post Meg. Leonard, I love you with all of my miniature heart!