Saturday, September 06, 2008

Sailing Attire

Today Leonard and I went sailing with my cousin Kara, her husband Tim, and their dog Stella. I decided that an afternoon sailing would be the perfect time to try out my cute new hat I recently bought for our upcoming cruise.

Don't you agree?



The Dragonfly. She was a fine, lakeworthy vessel.


Having only sailed once before, I felt out of my element. But just as Dumbo had his feather, my new hat gave me the sense that I belonged in the boat. If I'd only had some J. Crew khaki capris and a polo shirt, I might have even manned the sails myself.


As it was though, I left the job to Tim.



Here's Kara and Stella




"Where the ocean meets my Ky, I'll be sailing" I know, I'm a nerd.


It was a lovely afternoon. We went without wind for quite awhile and just kind of sat there. Finally though, the sails caught a breeze and we glided through the water. A sailboat, McCall, my Leonard, family, and a perfect sailing hat - what more could you want?

Funny thing about sailing. You rely on the wind to help you move - without it, you're stagnant. You hope for wind, you lick your finger and stick it in the air, anticipating the slightest breeze.

And when the wind does come, it's very exciting.



Until it blows your hat away.

5 comments:

k.k. @ thE b.y. said...

oh no did you really lose your hat?
it was so cute!

Rebecca said...

What fun! Love the hat, wish I could have come along, what good company!

Ashleigh said...

Hey Kyle, quit playing with your dingy! that's what you should have said, then maybe the wind would have picked up... bummer on the hat, though. You were are perfect impersonation of a JCrew model

Jeff Hamm said...

sounds/looks like a blast. Cool glasses! Looks like you guys are really enjoying the time off from school before "life" begins.

Lindemans said...

Oh no! I'm sorry you lost your hat but it made for an entertaining post! LOL! Looks like you had fun!