Monday, November 10, 2008

Doris Day Monday

Sometimes our days are meant to be themed.

I wasn't thinking about this concept this morning when I walked into the Boise Antique Mall. I had the day off. My mom met me there and together we walked through row upon row of antique and vintage items. The amount of stuff was overwhelming - old kitchen tools, a black mourning dress from the 1920s, oddly shaped glass figurines, vintage costume jewelry, worn Christmas ornaments, etc. I loved perusing and marveling at a time when women were glamorous and homemaking was an art form that women around the world worked on perfecting daily.

Around noon I received a phone call from Leonard. He'd had a rough morning - he was working in a satellite clinic with limited resources and a few tough cases this morning had put him be
hind. Though he's rarely not in a good mood, I could tell he was still frustrated when I received this text message at 12:42 pm:

I am at the post office and apparently they thought it was a good idea to hire the slowest human being alive.

And then at 12:46 pm:

Seriously this man looks and moves exactly like a sloth
. It's probably the government's way of saving on wages. Minimum wage only applies to humans, not sloths.

I texted Leonard back, telling him it would get better and promised him a delicious dinner when he got home. Mom and I went out to lunch and then to a wallpaper store. Afterward I hurried home and put away my new vintage items:Some magazines from the 40s and 50s - for future sewing inspiration

A pair of big clip-on earrings

This head band/hair accessory thingy

I'll figure out an occasion to wear it.


My favorite find - a wall hanging for the guest bathroom

The clock was ticking. I put on my apron, hummed a cheerful tune, and prepared dinner as efficiently as I could. The menu was going to be a hit: Butternut Squash Soup, Cornbread, and Fruit Salad. I just wanted Leonard to be able to come home, enjoy a hearty meal, forget about his day, and relax. All was going well until:

The bottom of the blender wasn't screwed on correctly as I was smoothing out the second half of the soup, so the entire contents gushed out making a huge mess. The humming stopped. Large beads of sweat appeared on my delicate forehead. One shirt change, three washcloths and numerous paper towels later the mess was cleaned up. Luckily I had enough soup from the first batch.

When Leonard came home I greeted him with a smile and a kiss, wearing my new earrings.


And this is what he saw:


Take that, Doris Day.

6 comments:

Jeff Hamm said...

Thanks for sharing. Time to quit your day job ; ^ )
I'm guessing you're probably never going to morph Leonard into a sloth after this post, though we all would enjoy the image. Thanks for sharing.

Denise and Nathan said...

You were meant to be the "Leave it to Beaver Mom" whatever her name was.... How can any of us woman compete with your shopping skills, dinner making skills, canning skills, and PA skills:) Oh ya, when my dad was down he asked where he should schedule his prostate exam? He seriously said that, but was joking.......

k.k. @ thE b.y. said...

oh my gosh those earrings are like the cutest things i have ever seen.

Mandalynn said...

Loved it!! I've been looking for a pair of clip-on earrings, myself. I want diamond ones (okay, fake diamond ones) though.

Amazed said...

The real question is....were you wearing high heels?


LOVED your "stuff" you bought! And I think you and Molly should be syndicated....

Kim Adams said...

Great Buys! you are a great wife!