Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Yesterday Two Birthdays Were Celebrated

Birthday #1 - The Relief Society of the LDS Church

Though technically founded on March 17, yesterday our Relief Society met for a 167th birthday bash. I've always been so impressed with the way a group of women from the Relief Society can get things done efficiently, such as pulling off a post-funeral luncheon with only a short day's notice or sewing a hundred quilts for families in a war ravaged nation in a month's time.

I had signed up to decorate a birthday table, mostly to force myself to get to know other ladies. The theme could be whatever I wanted. I considered cool themes like 1970s disco party or Space Invaders. When my mom informed me that she was making spring cupcakes for her ward's birthday bash, I decided to tag along and turn my table into a Spring Themed Birthday.

The cupcakes were fun to make. I especially liked the chocolate butterflies.


Birthday #2 - Chuck Norris

I had no idea it was Chuck's birthday yesterday until Leonard informed me in a serious tone, almost as though he expected me to feel guilty that I hadn't yet called him and it was getting late. I've never been into Chuck Norris movies, but Leonard thinks they're cool and celebrated by telling me "Chuck Norris is Tough" jokes.

Here are a few of my favorites:
-There is no such thing as evolution, just a list of species that Chuck Norris has allowed to survive.
-They say the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Unless Chuck Norris is on the other side, in which case the grass is soaked with blood and tears.
-Chuck Norris counted to infinity....twice.
-Little kids wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.
-Chuck Norris once kicked a horse in the chin. It's descendants were known as giraffes.

Yeah, Chuck Norris is pretty tough and it makes you wonder if there's ever an opponent that could beat him. I wonder, though, how he'd fare against a few seasoned Relief Society sisters.

No comments: