Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Maybe House" No More

Leonard and I have bought a house.

When we finally found it among what seemed like the millions that we toured, we dubbed it "Favorite House" for obvious reasons. When our offer was accepted, we started simply calling it "The House" and then when the typical bumps in the road until closing began to appear it was known as "Maybe House." One week before closing it's status upgraded to "Likely House" and today it is now "Our House."
There is one "Twin House" in our neighborhood.

As you can see, Leonard and I are into nicknames for things.

Like when I get into the passenger side of the car and he places a mountain of books, papers, movies to be returned, etc. onto my lap and says "Here you go, Shelf."

Or when we drive to my parent's house in Nyssa and know that we will lose cell phone coverage once we pass "Horse Hill," where sad-looking horses are balancing precariously on the steep incline of a hillside. "Honey, you might want to finish that call, we're almost at Horse Hill."

Here is our favorite tree in front of our house. It's shape looks exaggerated like something out of a Dr. Seuss book, so it is now known as "Dr. Seuss Tree." I don't yet know it's real genus and species, but even when I find that out, it's name won't change.



The day we got the keys, Leonard surprised me by wrapping a big red bow around the front door. We ran into the house and walked around forever. I began to wonder how long it would take for this house to feel like home. When Leonard started making loud chicken noises to see how they would echo, I knew it was a done deal.


Eventually we laid in the living room with our feet on the fireplace. Immediately both of us noticed it - the lights above the fireplace looked like eyes and the mantle a mouth, leading to a face with a serious expression. Right then and there those particular lights became christened "The Eyes." Last nigh Leonard reminded me, "Sweetheart, don't forget to turn off The Eyes before bed."


I can't wait for the years we are going to spend in this house, along with all the nicknames yet to be formed. I'll continue to post photos as we get settled, but for now I need to go to Bedroom #1 and unpack some boxes.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Congradulations on your new home! I love the pictures & nicknames. I hope you are able to get settled quickly. Wishing you the best!!!!

Hobbs Family said...

Hooray for you guys! How exciting :-) Looking for "the one" quickly gets old. We're super excited you found "yours". Cannot wait to see more pictures :-)

Denise said...

Holy nice house:) Lucky you. Is your home in Nampa or where???

Jeff Hamm said...

It looks beautiful! When is the housewarming party? Thanks for sharing the fun(ny) stories.

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

What a fun story about your home! It looks beautiful, and I can't wait to see more pics!

Kim said...

Congrats! It looks amazing, i look forward to more pics!