Sunday, September 27, 2009

Daring Bakers Challenge September 2009

The September 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Steph of A Whisk and a Spoon. She chose the French treat, Vols-au-Vent based on the Puff Pastry recipe by Michel Richard from the cookbook Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan.

I've been stalking the Daring Bakers for over a year now, and finally got the courage to join. Every month includes a challenge with specific restrictions. The terms of the challenge this month were to create the cup-shaped Vols-au-Vent pastries, but I had full reign over how to fill them.

I chose two different types of fillings: sweet and savory.



My sweet filling consists of a hardened layer of dark chocolate with a central dolop of vanilla mousse. I was inspired by a pastry I enjoyed while living in Spain.

This is my savory pastry - the cup is filled with a layer of thin small potatoes topped with a layer of thinly sliced Spanish Sweet onions and drizzled with a balsamic syrup. I was inspired by the bag of humongous onions I have in my pantry that came straight from my Dad's shed. Thanks Dad!

I knew they were a success when Leonard asked, "Do they have a challenge every week?" I've never made puff pastry before and the whole experience was a lot of fun. The pastry is very versatile and I look forward to being more creative with it in the future.

For more info on Daring Bakers, go here.

2 comments:

Annalise said...

I joined the Daring Bakers a few months ago, it's so much fun! I'm behind this month though, and haven't yet made my puff pastry. I better get on it. Yours look lovely!

Jed said...

The sight of those pastries makes me want to have a smiling contest all the way to Nampa.