Sunday, November 08, 2009

Daring Bakers Challenge October 2009

Better late than never!

The 2009 October Daring Bakers' challenge was brought to us by Ami S. She chose macarons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.

French macarons, a dessert I had never before tried, comprised October's Daring Bakers Challenge. I was very excited for this challenge as I had seen the small, colorful macarons on various food blogs. They have a reputation of being very finicky, requiring meringue at just the right firmness, whipping in the almond flour with a spatula but not overwhipping, and baking at the right temperature. In the end (after a couple of tries), they turned out great! I chose to make the basic recipe and fill with buttercream.
Many of the Daring Bakers were having difficulty with the original recipe, so I ended up using this one.

4 comments:

Mandalynn said...

Maybe you should make some for my visit this weekend. That's right, I'm going to be visiting this weekend - I'm inviting myself. Prepare things for my arrival.

Annalise said...

Yours turned out lovely! I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to try a few times.

Anonymous said...

Hey M! Just wanted to let you know that I read your blog all the time and love it. Hope you and Leo are great!
Love and miss you both,
Alicia

Denise said...

dang miss suzy homemaker here! Miss ya!