Monday, February 15, 2010

A View of Nugget

A few weeks ago I was worried - at 10 1/2 weeks my nausea was improving and I was starting to feel better. Instead of this being a happy occasion, I was concerned that something was wrong with the pregnancy. Leonard and I tried to hear heart tones in clinic, but it was just too early. I began to think the whole thing had somehow been a misunderstanding. Soon we'd have to tell our family the unfortunate truth - I had been mistaken, it wasn't for real, and I was a big fraud. I couldn't relax until I knew for sure everything was o.k.

Leonard and I were manning the evening clinic, and after everyone had left we went into the Ultrasound room to take a gander at the baby. It didn't take more than a few seconds, and there it was! We immediately dubbed it our little "nugget," as that was exactly what it resembled - a chicken McNugget, one of the L-shaped ones that are especially tasty. We marveled when we saw the baby's quick heartbeat. We laughed as we watched our nugget perform acrobatic somersaults in the Big Top of my womb. I snapped at Leonard when he yelled "Earthquake!" while shaking the Ultrasound probe on my abdomen to see if it would make the baby move. I was certainly reassured.

On the way home I told Leonard I felt guilty. Having access to the Ultrasound was a nice perk of our profession, but one that our patients did not so easily share. As justification, I told Leonard that this Ultrasound was Unofficial and didn't really count. As usual, he nodded and told me that made perfect sense.

Last week Leonard and I had our first "Official" Ultrasound. Nugget had now grown arm buds and was waving them all over the place, as if to say "I'm officially here!"

And though the Ultrasound room is just down the hall at work, we've continued to refrain from our own private nugget viewings.

5 comments:

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

So many congrats to you! If I were you, I'd have to look all the time, and I wouldn't apologize for it! That's a great perk! I'm very happy for you, children are never ending fun, fun, fun.

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

P.S. I'm due in 36.5 weeks. You will know long-suffering for sure by then. I'm having a girl, Jeff and Mary are having a girl (in 10 weeks) and Robb and Heather are having a girl due July 11th! Girls, girls, girls! I hope you have a girl!

Lindemans said...

Sheesh! I wouldn't feel guilty about taking a peek! I told Doug I wanted an u/s machine at home but he said no. We didn't have the $20,000 it would take to buy one. ;) What a cute little "nugget" you have growing there! I'm so excited for you!

Mandalynn said...

I keep meaning to comment and say, "Awww," but I keep putting it off. Anyway, "Awww." I know you don't want to find out the sex of the nugget, but I encourage you to rethink that. I really, really want to know :)

meg baker said...

I'm so excited for you! How much fun. My mom fills me in on the Farmer girls news every once in a while and I get so excited! So much fun happening everywhere. I have to say I think you have a mighty big temptation at work. Love your blog and I think your amazing as always.