Saturday, March 20, 2010

Owl Treats

In our ward I am a teacher to the 12 and 13 year-old girls. For our recent Young Women New Beginnings (wherein we introduce our theme for the upcoming year) I was asked to provide owl treats. The 2010 Young Men/Young Women theme is "Be strong and of a good courage (Joshua 1:19)" and our emphasis at New Beginnings was "Remember 'Whoo' You are." I had a great time deciding what to make, and I think everything turned out pretty good!

Owl Cupcakes
Vanilla buttercream frosting with chocolate cake:


Owl Cake Pops
These little guys were my favorite. I was inspired by the chocolate coated cake ball pops made famous by Bakerella.

I used white candy coated chocolate candies for the eyes, candy sunflower seeds for the beaks, and orange flower shaped sprinkles for the feet.


It was all innocent fun at first. But the more that I made, the more they glared at me with their big round eyes, beckoning me to construct more of their friends.

They continued to stare, and when I had finished and turned to leave the kitchen, I could still feel their eyes following me.


I made 30 owls in all, and the girls loved them, so mission accomplished!

11 comments:

Valery G. said...

You are very creative Megan! I love them;) My family's symbol is the owl because we are the Wise Family. I need to learn how to do those for our next family reunion. It would be a great surprise.

megan said...

No problem, Val, let me know and I'll give you some instructions.

meg baker said...

I'm thinking that it must be your name that produces all of your ingenuity! It is a good one. I love love love the owls. That is so much fun.

Mandalynn said...

Your owl pops are so cute!! Lesli made cake pops for the RS birthday party. Although they looked great, they tasted awful. She ended up buying a cake instead. Anyways, she emailed Bakerella and told her what happened and Bakerella emailed her back within 10 minutes giving her some tips to make them better. How did yours taste?

Denise said...

you little creative woman you. make me proud, chica! you're an 8 cow wife, indeed.

Peggy said...

Megs, these owls are a Hoot! Chuckle, chuckle.

Lindemans said...

Whoa! Those are amazing!!!!! Very impressive!

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

I love those cake pops! I need a reason to make them...maybe for my dad's birthday? No, not for a man. Hmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

would you please email me on how ot do these. I have been asked to make some owl cupcakes and I think these would be really cute on top of the cupcakes. Thanks so much. daisy_tms@yahoo.com

Deb said...

Could I get instructions on how to make these? Our girls camp mascot is the owl. Also, where to you buy candy coated sunflower seeds, and what are the eyes?

Shelbey said...

I'm new to your blog and wanted to let you know that I LOVE this idea. It's adorable! I know so many people who love owls so this would be the perfect treat for them. Thanks for sharing!

Also, I loved this so much that I've shared it with my readers as well. :)

http://adesiretoinspire.blogspot.com/2011/09/owl-pops.html