Monday, July 12, 2010

Patient Room 11

In the snippets of time between work and other tasks, I meditate on my upcoming new role as a mother. This is typically an anxiety-provoking activity as I get bogged down with the responsibility of it all. I recently discovered a welcome reprieve.


On the wall of Patient Room 11, a room to which I am frequently assigned, hangs a poster with instructions on how to massage your baby. Pictured is a smiling, well-fed baby who is obviously enjoying his infantile massage. Often when I am performing a lung exam on a patient I will stare at that poster and think about my future (while carefully listening to breath sounds of course!). I'll smile dreamily as I read the proper technique to massage a baby's cheeks and how to invoke "belly laughs" by gently caressing a baby's tummy. It all seems so simple, so fun! That's what it will be like all the time, right?


For a few moments motherhood no longer threatens sleepless nights, diaper changes, and the potential to permanently psychologically disfigure another human being. Instead it promises dimples, chubby limbs, and giggly baby massages.


My lung exams in Room 11 have become a lot more thorough.

4 comments:

Denise said...

yes, you will never have a sleepless night and it's all fun! ha, ha! can't wait for you to have your little one. boy or girl??

Mindy said...

It is exactly like this all the time...if you massage your baby 24/7. :0) When I was pregnant the first time, I realized that I detested "What to Expect When You're Expecting" b/c I felt like I was better off not possibly expecting all the scary things extolled upon there.

Valery G. said...

When you are due? I can't wait to meet Baby George!!! You and Leonard are going to do great;)

megan said...

Thanks for the comments!
I'm due August 20, and the gender is a surprise!
-Megan