Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Cancun, Mexico 2011

A baby sized palm tree

Leonard, Millie and I just returned from Cancun after 6 days of fun in the sun. It was great to leave the cold, dreary Idaho weather behind and enjoy tropical sunny paradise.

First time in the ocean!

Cancun has lots to offer - ancient ruins, sightseeing, shopping, deep sea fishing. We passed on all of that and other than one short trip into the city, we spent our time swimming and getting some much needed rest and relaxation (as much as can be had with a six month old).

Die hard swimmer, even in the rain

Trip Highlights:

The taxi ride into Cancun

Reading good books:
Leonard - Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Meg Meeker (highly recommended!)

Me - The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (a great read - excited to see the movie)
The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Patley (was trying to hold off on this, but the vacation solidified that it's time)



Early morning walks on the beach, just me and Millie.

Amelia, your bed head is embarrassing.

Amelia's giggle fest every time we went into the pool.

Perfecting her splashing technique.

The sun, scenery, and warm breezes accelerating Amelia's development. On this trip she began saying "Da-Da," slept unswaddled, began teething, and starting babbling during crying which serves her well as it's heartbreaking to hear.

Family Nap


Finally learning to sleep unswaddled!

Amelia being a local celebrity. There weren't a lot of kids at our resort, so everywhere we went we were greeted by a chorus of "It's Amelia! Hey Amelia, what's up!"

Stylin' with her Elizabeth Taylor sunglasses

Eating seafood for every meal.

Dressed up for dinner

Amelia doing great on the airplane, even though we were sitting next to the crankiest anti-babies-on-airplane frowny faced passenger on earth.

Hat = baldie sun protection

Dressing Millie up in outfits appropriate for every occasion.


Having some really great chats with Leonard. Sure, we talk all the time, but there's something about being on vacation away from daily pressures that gets the thoughts flowing. From lengthy discussions on the nature of God to superficial ones like how weird pinky toenails are.

New all-time favorite photo

The vacation was wonderful, and I'm already planning a repeat for next year. We booked our hotel arrangements through Jetsetter which saved us a ton. And though traveling with Amelia was a really great experience, and it really was, we might consider a vacation for just the two of us next time.

10 comments:

Biddle Family said...

Megan,
I love reading your blog!!!!! Seriously its right up there. even better than Stephanie Nielson's if you ask me! I love seeing cute Amelia. You're such a cute mom. Sometimes I laugh. Sometimes I cry. In the end I feel uplifted & can't wait for your next post so I can come back for some more!

Natalie said...

Oh, I am so glad you guys had fun! But it is true that they aren't really vacations with the little ones. Your pictures are darling! How do you think Amelia feels about stocky 18 month old redheads?

megan said...

Natalie, she's already in love with a stocky red bearded 31 year old, so I,m sure it could work out!

Ashley, hope you are doing well! Kyle and I might head down your way soon, if so we should get together.

Biddle Family said...

Megan.. whenever you come to AZ PLEASEEEE stop by.. we'd really love to see you guys! I am sure your staying with Kyle's fam but you're more than welcome to stay here too

Kim said...

What a fun vacation! Amelia is darling!

Mindy said...

I am incredibly jealous! Love the hats on both you girls. I would suggest passing on the Remains of the Day Movie, but I'd be curious to see what you thought. Glad you got some much needed rest.

Ashleigh said...

Megs! What a fun trip and Amelia, of course, is so adorable. You guys look great. I'll have to check out that book Kyle read...
I'm glad to hear Millie made the plane trip well. We're going to Ireland with my family in May and I'm nervous about international travel with a 5 month old! give me your tips.

Denise said...

Oh megan!!! ha, ha! your post made me laugh. I've sighed a relief that you too have joined the possy of overly-obsessed-with-child-cuteness. Parenting is fun, isn't it!!!

Photographer: Rebecca Pierce said...

Megan, we were just down there and we hired a guide that I think the Biddle's found and my parents have since used. It was a really amazing thing to go to Tulum and hear an LDS perspective. I was concerned that he was going to make false claims, like, "here is the city of Zarahemla..." but it wasn't like that at all. It was just basically tying in how the decendents of the Book of Mormon people built the temples with some of the same traditional symbols and such that had been passed downn, etc. It was really interesting knowing what we know about S.A. history and tying it all together. When you go again (we were there only one day as we were cruising), let me know and I'll recommend him. I can't say enough good stuff about him, and we were with 14 people and we all felt the same. We want a full week of his knowledge all over that region! We are going back soonish...but next time we want to stay in Playa del Carmen, south of Cozumel...

Anyway, I love your sweet Amelia and it is fun to see you be a gaga first time parent. I love that part of my life! There's nothing like it.

megan said...

Rebecca,
Thanks so much for the tip - I'll definitely keep it in mind. We didn't go to Tulum this trip but definitely plan on it for next time!