Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Millie's Place

It's high time I wrote about Millie's room. It's been 90% finished for some time, but Leonard and I finally made the finishing touches and it is now complete!

Amelia's gender was a surprise, so this room presented a design challenge as I wanted it mostly finished before her birth. We decided to go with a neutral base that could be genderized with accessories once we knew if baby was a he or a she. I've been eyeing that crib for the past three years or so. You might even say I wanted it so badly that I decided to have a baby in order to get it. Just kidding, kind of.

We chose light blue paint and an accent wall with scandinavian yellow tree wallpaper I've been coveting for awhile. I wish I could say I did all of that work but I can't. Leonard has this weird idea that pregnant ladies shouldn't be on ladders, so we had lots of help. Ron, Irene, and Mandy came all the way from Utah just to paint our walls (Georges = expert painters). And in the ultimate act of generosity, my mom spent two full days wallpapering that wall as I elevated my feet, ate twizzlers, and gestated.

I considered going all out for the bedding. But I loved the lines of the crib so much that I decided to keep it simple. That pink afghan was actually given to us by the hospital. Apparently they have volunteers make hats and blankets for all newborn babies - we lucked out big time and got this beautiful chevron-patterned afghan made with super soft yarn (Sorry to you suckahs that got the hat!). That's Millie's blessing dress on the wall by the way - eek, so little!


For the mobile I made fabric origami cranes.


I painted that pink hippo. It's based off of the packaging of a baby shower gift from my itsy bitsy teeny weenie sister Molly
.

I sewed these drapes at the height of nesting/mania. I finished them the day after Millie's due date. As that day approached people would ask me if I was upset that the baby hadn't come yet to which I'd respond "the baby can't get here yet, I haven't finished the drapes!" Maybe those drapes were a physical representation of my inner anxiety at being a mom yadda yadda psycho babble.


I went ten days overdue. So after the drapes I sewed this elephant. Leonard thought I was nuts.


Here's Millie's changing station and dresser.


I got the artwork off of etsy.

This is the mirror above Millie's changing table. We angled it so she could look at herself, hoping to keep her occupied and still during diaper changes. It ended up being a good idea as she loved it from the first day.

Here's a younger Millie and myself having fun in that mirror. We actually spend a lot of time there as part of our morning routine, playing peek-a-boo, giggling, and blowing raspberries on her tummy. Hmm...this is sounding awfully mommy-bloggy!


Here's her dresser. Those nesting birds were given to me by my mom. And that's an elephant shaped humidifier in case you were wondering.



That wall on the right was tricky. The door to the room opens and occludes most of that wall, so I figured any artwork there would be partially hidden and look awkward. So instead we bought picture ledges and used them as book shelves.

Leonard the handyman installed them himself. Not bad! This is the only complete room in our house and since we hope to have more munchkins one day, we plan on keeping it a nursery that will hopefully be flexible for future babies' discerning tastes.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I was fully expecting you to say "Next, I hand dyed the carpet to perfectly match the colors in the room....."

Would you knock it off, you are making the rest of us look like slackers! just kidding. But seriously, you are some kind of crazy talented. I love the room! It is super cute, and that little Millie fits right in.

Amazed said...

Darling room. Darling baby. I want to know where you bought the picture ledges. I don't think I've seen them anywhere before. And your header is fabulous. And sewing an elephant and drapes and making your carpet is totally what your mother would have/could have done....

megan said...

Nataie - you are very sweet

Marilyn - I got the picture ledges at Ikea. You can find them elsewhere (Crate & Barell, West Elm ,etc.) but Ikea had the best price and the quality is actually pretty good! They also have them in white and in different lengths.

Molly said...

Just realized you used the word "occludes" casually. Like it ain't no thing. Your skills are nonpareil.

aurora733 said...

I'm dying to get a mirror to put above the changing table! Where did you get yours? Lovely nursery! <3