Thursday, September 22, 2011

Beanie Baby

Thanks to our girl, Leonard and I are eating our legumes. It started with a simple and easy chickpea salad recipe I got hooked on from Bon Appetit magazine when she was starting finger foods. We gave her some of the chickpeas to try and she loved them. She's since proven her appetite for pretty much any bean: kidney, black, pinto, black eyed peas, you name it. We've since incorporated more beans into our diet and here are some of our favorite recipes:

photo via Bon Appetit

I rarely read articles from cooking magazines, I mostly just dream about the recipes. But I did read the associated article and it has convinced me to shoot for quality ingredients, even when they come from a can.

Here's a simple recipe for healthy crock pot refried beans. It calls for pinto beans but I made it with black beans and it was a success. These also freeze well which is nice. I've never been big on crock pot meals, in fact, I'll admit I've turned my nose down at them a time or two. I've now learned the error of my ways and I'm appreciating my crock pot and am using it more.


Cowboy Caviar
I loved this one. I'd never heard of Cowboy Caviar until a co-worker brought some into work from the Boise Co-Op. It's basically a bean and corn salsa and it's delicious. We'll be making this in the winter when fresh tomatoes aren't available. I copied down the ingredients from the container and pretty much added as much of each ingredient I felt was appropriate. There are lots of recipes for Cowboy Caviar online. I really liked the apple cider vinegar in this one.
Ingredients: Black Beans, Corn, Black Eyed Peas, Pinto Beans, Onions, Cider Vinegar, Bell Peppers, Cilantro, Vegetable Oil, Salt

4 comments:

Mandalynn said...

What?! I make the cowboy cavier for all family functions. Oh wait, you can never make it to the family functions.

Natalie said...

I love it when people share great recipes. I'll have to try them! Too bad Kyle has an aversion towards any food that isn't meat :)

Julie & Oren said...

i am loving the daily posts! now, when are you and the family coming to portland next? julie (m) b.

megan said...

Mandy I had no idea you made cowboy caviar! Maybe you're just holding out on me when I'm in town :)

Natalie, I've had that conversation with Kyle before. I think T.J. is similar. In fact, once in college Leonard and I had him over for tacos. He really enjoyed them until we told him the taco "meat" was actually tofu meat substitute. He actually got angry.

Julie - I miss you!!!!!!! We're trying to come up with a time we can make it back to Portland to see all you folks. Is there a reunion in the making? I haven't heard anything...