Friday, December 23, 2011

Little Pink Toggle Coat

I made a coat and I'm so pleased. I almost wrote "sew pleased" which is kind of scary. Next thing you know, I'll be sporting a "my sewing machine is smarter than your honors student" bumper sticker on my car.

I used the School Days jacket & coat pattern from Oliver + S, and once again I only have good things to say about these patterns. This was a 3 scissors out of 4 difficulty, and I was a bit intimidated by the idea of making a coat. The pattern proved easy to follow, however, and I didn't really run into any snags.

I used a light pink wool I picked up on our family trip to New Orleans in October. I fell in love with the wool once I felt how soft it was. It's not a particularly heavy wool, however, so I constructed an interlining out of thinsulate (essentially a second lining using the lining pattern pieces) which I sandwiched between the regular lining and the wool shell. The thinsulate makes the coat a bit puffier and warmer which is nice. I wish I could take credit for this idea, but it was featured on Oliver + S blog and I just followed the instructions. I used the 12-18 month size, but took the shoulders in about 1/4 inch on each side, since Millie's a bit small up top.

And although I'm sure my Husky would have been up to the challenge, I borrowed my mom's fancy computerized sewing machine to sew together the thick layers. I used a gray cotton fabric with little pink and red cherries for the lining, which was purchased locally and is from Moda. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. I learned so much with this pattern and hope to repeat it in the future. Once again I traced the original so that I could reuse it.

I'm pretty sure my girl likes it, too. She actually keeps the hood on which is a first. And I feel good knowing it keeps her nice and warm in the freezing cold. (Hard to believe how cold it is without any snow!)


4 comments:

Mandalynn said...

Love the Lining.

Valery G. said...

Your creation is so adorable! The coat is amazing too! Happy Holidays;-)

Denise said...

Seriously? Seriously. What can't you do? That coat is beyond adorable! Can you make one in my size!! Ha ha!

megan said...

Denise, I think this would probably fit you. I'll send it to you when she grows out of it!